Saturday 7 March 2015

Tried bush walking ...


My wife is really into walking and trying to loose weight at the moment and wanted to go for a bush walk this morning. I said I'd go with her. I've tried this walk before but I only got a short way into the walk last time before having to turn around because I lost my nerve at the stairs that are pretty narrow and very steep. This time though to start with it was good, I wasn't worried to begin with. We got past the place where we turned around last time. But then we got to a really  narrow part with a verticle drop at the side. My mind was telling me that I couldn't do it. I got down onto my hands and knees as I felt like I was about to fall off. We had to turn around but there were big stairs that we had to go down. I sat down on my bottom, slowly getting down. I felt very anxious and upset. I got VERY wobbly!! I really enjoy bush walks and want to keep doing them but I think we need to do easier tracks than I did before my Huntington's started showing symptoms. I was really gutted that I didn't finish the whole walk. Alice was really good, she didn't make me feel silly that I got upset with myself. She was really supportive and kept telling me how well I was doing.  I'll give an easier track a turn next I think.






At the top of these stairs I lost it. I couldn't move and I got really shaky. I still am proud of how far I did though. 




I used my two walking poles, I can't leave the house without a stick a lot now. Using two sticks I've found is good on long distance walks. 



 
Me and my wife Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment